REL Majors: Here’s your chance to get published! Compete in the TAK Essay Competition
Writing a fabulous paper for one of your upper-division REL courses? Consider entering the Theta Alpha Kappa Essay Competition! Winning essays are published in the Journal of Theta Alpha Kappa.
To view last year’s journal (and last year’s winning essays), stop by Prof. Meeks’ office hours (Mon./Tues. 1:00-1:50 pm in ACB 130). Once our new lounge is complete, we will leave copies of the journal in the lounge, too.
Here are the details of the competition:
$500 Award for the Best Undergraduate Paper
$500 Award for the Best Graduate Paper
Winning Essays to be published in the Journal of Theta Alpha Kappa
Sponsored by THETA ALPHA KAPPA NATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY FOR RELIGIOUS STUDIES AND THEOLOGY
The National Board of Directors of TAK invites entries for the 2013 Albert Clark Award, given annually to one undergraduate and one graduate student for the best papers in religious studies or theology, as judged by a panel established by the board. Each competition winner will receive a $500 award, and his or her essay will be published in the Journal of Theta Alpha Kappa.
Competition guidelines: The competition is open to any student currently enrolled in or graduated from a school with a TAK chapter, provided that the paper was written while attending that school. It is also open to alumni members of TAK. Papers may be submitted through TAK chapter moderators or independently. In either case, a cover letter should indicate the name of the entrant, the school, status as undergraduate or graduate, permanent mailing address, and mailing addresses to be used in the year of submission (2012) and after January 2013.
- Essays in religious studies and in all fields of theology are welcome.
- Only one essay per author will be considered. During the period that the essay is under consideration for publication in JTAK, the author asserts that it has not been published elsewhere and is not being considered for publication elsewhere.
- All essays submitted will be considered both for the Albert Clark Award and for publication in the Journal.
- Papers should be double-spaced and should not exceed 20 pages, including endnotes, when typed in a 12-point font size. Shorter papers are acceptable.
- Author’s name and school name should be identified in cover letter only - not on manuscript original or copies. The original and copies must be free of any information that may identify the author and may contain no comments by previous readers.
- A manual of style should be followed, preferably the Chicago Manual of Style.
- Deadline for submission is January 15, 2013.
- Winners will be chosen and notified of the judges’ decisions in March 2013.
Send four (4) copies to:
Dr. Leo H. Madden, JTAK Editor
Department of Theology
Ohio Dominican University
1216 Sunbury Road
Columbus, OH 43219